|School District/Employer:||Judson ISD|
|District Category/Employer:||Central Office|
|Job Title:||Executive Director of Special Education|
|Description/Notes:||The Executive Director for Special Education is a critical leadership role that directly affects the acceleration if improved student outcomes for student receiving special education services. Directs, monitors and strengthens programs and ensures all services are implemented within federal, state, and local regulations. Responsible for program management including the supervision of staff in assigned areas.|
• Master’s degree
• SBEC Special Education (EC-12), required
• Principal Certification, preferred
• Strong instructional and operational leadership skills.
• Knowledge of administration techniques and programs that serve students receiving Special Education services.
• Knowledge of the state and federal requirements and laws as they relate to the evaluation, identification and services for Special Education and Section 504; a thorough understanding of curriculum and instruction and other student-related services.
• Ability to use computer technology in administrative and educational settings; excellent organizational ability.
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
• Problem-solving and consensus-building expertise.
• The ability to delegate responsibilities effectively is of critical importance.
• Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in Special Education.
• Minimum of 3 years of administrative experience at campus or district level.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
(The following statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions that may be assigned or skills that may be required.)
• Create a vision in the community of the role of Special Education in ensuring success for every child and provide leadership in developing a collaborative culture within the Department of Special Education.
• Oversee the development and delivery of special education curriculum and instructional programs that incorporate district goals and support student achievement. Ensure that curriculum renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
• Develop and implement an effective special education referral process and ensure that student assessments and recommendations regarding placement and program management for individual students are completed in a timely manner.
• Monitor the admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) process districtwide. Participate in committee meetings as needed to ensure that students are placed appropriately and development of individual education plans for students are consistent with district procedures. Ensure that student progress is evaluated on a systematic basis.
• Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge special education program effectiveness. Make changes when warranted.
• Ensure that the necessary time, resources, materials, and technology to support accomplish educational goals are available. Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs.
• Direct transition services for special education students entering and exiting public school programs.
• Take an active role in the formulating and implementing contracts for special education students receiving services outside of the district.
• Demonstrate support for the district’s student management policies and expected student behavior related to special education program.
• Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in area of special education. Recommend sound policies and procedures to improve program.
• Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
• Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
• Develop and administer the special education budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
• Maintain a current inventory of supplies and equipment and recommend the replacement and disposal of equipment when necessary.
• Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions in special education department.
• Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
• Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents, and community members.
• Serve as district liaison to community agencies providing services to students and notify parents and students of available services.
• Articulate the district’s mission and goals in the area of special education to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
• Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
• Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
|How To Apply:||Please apply on the Judson ISD website.
|Address:||8012 Shin Oak Drive|