|School District/Employer:||Orenda Education|
|District Category/Employer:||Campus, Charter/Private|
|Job Title:||HS SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER|
|School:||Gateway College Preparatory School|
|Campus Description:||Gateway College Preparatory School is an open-enrollment public charter school offering grades K - 12 on one 40 acre campus to students in Williamson County and north Travis County areas. Gateway is uniquely designed to provide a college preparatory curriculum for all grades with advanced placement courses and international studies offered. Gateway is known for its exceptional academic program with the primary emphasis of the campus on the integration of 21st Century Skills throughout the curriculum. All courses are taught by certified and “Highly Qualified” teachers according to the No Child Left Behind Act. There is NO TUITION to attend Gateway and enrollment is open to all students until available seats have been filled.
Smaller and more intimate by design, Gateway offers a public school education that feels and functions like a private school. With a senior class of about 100 - 125 students each year -- Gateway is about 1/8 to 1/4 the size of other area public high schools. This smaller size is critical, because it offers a “human scale” to the learning environment, and allows students greater access to teaching staff, resources and school activities.
Conceived around the ideal “Citizen, Scholar, Athlete,” Gateway represents some of the best thinking in educational innovation, and differs from the large traditional high school model in several ways, from the smaller student body and incorporation of the "flipped classroom", "blended-learning" instructional techniques, to single-gender learning opportunities and full integration of new technology to enhance the learning experience.
A fine arts program and competitive athletics are offered. Gateway is a member of the University Interscholastic League (UIL), the organization primarily responsible for offering sound, educational extracurricular activities to Texas public school students for over 100 years. As a UIL member, Gateway competes against UIL assigned district schools and schedules non-district competition with local private, parochial and public schools that have a similar size student body.
Gateway College Preparatory School is a part of the Orenda Charter Schools system. Orenda Education is the sponsoring entity for Orenda Charter Schools. Orenda Education is a non-profit educational organization incorporated in 1995 that is headquartered in Georgetown, Texas.
Gateway Academic Accolades
Based on the recent 2014 state-wide STAAR accountability ratings on Texas public schools, Gateway College Preparatory School score of “Met Standard” with five (5) distinctions in mathematics, science, reading/ELA, social studies and post- secondary readiness exceeded the ratings of most other public schools in Central Texas.
Compared to all 65 schools in the Round Rock ISD and Georgetown ISD combined, only 7 schools received a better rating than Gateway Prep.
In a 2014 report on “America’s Most Challenging High Schools” conducted by and published in the Washington Post, Gateway College Preparatory School was ranked 42nd in Texas and number 4 in the greater Austin area. The report ranked schools in the nation based on a ratio of the number of college credit exams (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Advanced International Certificate of Education) taken at a high school each year compared to the number of graduating seniors.
In a September 1, 2014 Dallas Morning News article on the Texas public school academic accountability ratings, the Orenda charter school district was listed as one of the top 25 public school districts in Texas (traditional and charter school districts combined with at least 1,000 students) that significantly exceeded state averages in student academic growth.
Another significant achievement, and one of which we are very proud, is that our boys are performing just as well as our girls academically and, in many subjects, exceeding our girls. This is a significant development because in America the trend has been that boys are not doing as well as our girls in school.
Today, women outpace men in college enrollment by a ratio of 1.4 to 1 and the gap has been growing for well over a decade. Research shows that schools like Gateway Prep, with high expectations and stronger academic climates for both genders, can be a difference maker for boys. In other words, boys are better prepared and more likely to be college ready if they attend a secondary school that only offers college level core courses.
|Description/Notes:||POSITION SUMMARY: Provide students with rigorous learning activities and experiences in the academic subject and grade assigned to help students develop competencies and skills to be successful in post-secondary education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work collaboratively with other members of campus and district staff to determine instructional goals and objectives and serve the needs of all students.
• Use a variety of instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
• Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
• Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
• Use technology to strengthen the teaching/learning process.
• Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
• Prepares and provides instruction based on accommodations as outlined in the student’s IEP.
• Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social and emotional development of students.
• Take necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
• Report and communicate student progress to parents.
• Resolve parent/student issues and concerns in a timely manner.
• Be a positive role model for students.
• Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and handbook.
• Assist in monitoring students and creating a safe campus environment by reporting to duty assignments as assigned by principal.
• Attend campus events and extracurricular activities, as assigned.
• Assist in selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
• Participates in all continuing professional development and relevant ARD meetings.
• Compile, maintain, and submit reports, records and other documents, as required.
• Analyze critical needs in assigned areas and work collaboratively to implement and improve programs.
• Promotes and contributes to campus-wide initiatives including AVID.
• Protects confidentiality of students and their families.
• Participates in performance improvement activities.
• Support the mission and vision of the campus and district.
• Adheres to policies and procedures of the campus and district.
• Comply with policies established by federal and state law, including but not limited to State Board of Education and local Board policy.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||Knowledge of: Principles, theories, methods, techniques, and strategies pertaining to teaching and instructing student in the subject and grade level assigned. Strong knowledge of developing curriculum and along with integrating technology into daily instruction.
Ability to: Design, develop, and implement subject area curriculum that is based on best practices. Provide effective and innovative learning experiences for students at a college preparatory level. Provide an attractive, inviting and stimulating learning environment and develop positive relationships with students.
Experience: Successful completion of student teaching at a recognized college or university or other applicable field/volunteer work.
Education: Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university and valid Texas Teacher Certificate with required endorsements or required training for subject and level assigned.
* SOCIAL STUDIES 8-12 CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
|Salary Range:||Compensation is $44,500 - $53,020 annually depending on experience.
|Benefits:||Should you enroll in TRS medical, Orenda Education makes a $351 monthly contribution towards employees' premiums.
TRS ACTIVE CARE Aetna Health Insurance
* Active Care 1-HD
* Active Care Select
* Active Care II
* First Care (certain counties only)
* Scott & White HMO
|How To Apply:||Visit www.orendaeducation.org under careers to submit an application.
Please attach Cover Letter, Resume and References
|Address:||2951 Williams Drive|