|School District/Employer:||Sherman ISD|
|District Category/Employer:||Central Office|
|Job Title:||Director of Special Education|
|Description/Notes:||Interested applicants must complete the Sherman ISD application at https://www.shermanisd.net/careers and submit the required documentation as outlined on the ShermanISD webpage.
Direct the district’s special education program to ensure provision of needed services for special needs students. Work to provide individualized education plans to meet the needs of all students and ensure compliance with all state, federal, and local requirements.
Instructional and Program Management
1. Oversee the development and delivery of services for students with disabilities and instructional programs that incorporate district goals and support student achievement. Ensure that curriculum renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
2. Manage an effective campus and student intervention and support referral process and ensure that student evaluations and recommendations regarding placement and programming for individual students are completed in a timely manner.
3. Monitor the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) process districtwide. Participate in committee meetings as needed to ensure that students are placed appropriately and development of individual education plans for students are consistent with district procedures. Ensure that student progress is evaluated on a systematic basis.
4. Use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge Special Education Program effectiveness. Make changes when warranted.
5. Ensure that necessary time, resources, and technology are provided to accomplish educational goals.
6. Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs.
7. Direct transition services for special education students entering and exiting public school programs.
8. Take an active role in the formulating and implementing contracts for special education students receiving services outside of the district.
9. Plan, coordinate, implement and communicate program requirements to ensure that appropriate services are provided for students with disabilities in accordance with all federal, state, and local requirements.
10. Efficiently and effectively evaluate all support services for students with disabilities.
11. Direct a systematic local, state and federal mandated evaluation program designed to diagnose and prescribe services for students with disabilities.
12. Design and implement special education programming to coordinate with the SISD curriculum and district graduation requirements.
13. Provide on-going training for all Special Education Staff in core curriculum interventions to close learning gaps in the foundational skills of Reading and Mathematics.
14. Support staff in the understanding of the SISD curriculum and instructional practices as a foundation for meeting the diverse learning needs of students with disabilities.
15. Provide on-going support to teachers and staff on inclusion of students with disabilities in the classroom.
16. Demonstrate the ability to direct and lead a diverse team of Special Education Service Providers to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
17. Collaborate with all district departments/divisions to plan & implement Teacher Staff Development.
18. Give high priority to customer satisfaction, proactively facilitating the immediate resolution of concerns and issues.
19. Exhibit the highest standards of professional integrity, sensitivity, and respect in school/parent/community relationships.
20. Demonstrate support for the district's student management policies and expected student behavior related to students with disabilities. Lead the district in applying IDEA regulations in determining when an unwanted behavior is related to a disability and what the appropriate intervention needs to be.
Policy, Reports. and Law
21. Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in area of special education and Section 504 of the ADA. Recommend sound policies and procedures to improve program.
22. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
Budget and Inventory
23. Effectively manage local, state and federal budgets through efficient use of staff, material and resources, ensuring that all expenditures are in the best interest of the organization.
24. Develop and administer the special education budgets based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
25. Maintain a current inventory of supplies and equipment and recommend the replacement and disposal of equipment when necessary.
26. Maintain an accurate and efficient system for determining the need for personnel.
27. Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions in the Special Student Services Department.
28. Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
Communication and Community Relations
29. Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents, and community members.
30. Serve as district liaison to community agencies providing services to students and notify parents and students of available services.
31. Articulate the district's mission and goals to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
32. Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
33. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
34. Embrace, support and clearly communicate commitment to the successful attainment of the district's goals for all students, staff, parents and community members.
35. Demonstrate highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication, confidentiality and consensus-building skills.
36. Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, effectively preventing, diffusing and resolving conflicts.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (under 15 pounds)
Environment: Frequent district-wide travel; occasional statewide travel; may work prolonged or odd hours
Mental Demands: Maintain professionalism, emotional control under stress, and a demanding schedule that may require difficult conversations; adhere to tight deadlines
Minimum of Master’s Degree in an education related field
Valid Texas Teaching Certificate in Special Education and Mid-Management or Principal, or licensure in a Special Education related field
Ability to manage large federal and local budget
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Ability to mediate and resolve conflict
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Minimum 3 years successful administrative experience
Special Education teaching experience preferred
Principal or Assistant Principal experience preferred
|How To Apply:||Interested applicants must complete the Sherman ISD application at https://www.shermanisd.net/careers and submit the required documentation as outlined on the ShermanISD webpage.|
|Address:||P.O. Box 1176|